Friday, January 18, 2008

Schadenfreude

On Wednesday, my better half got a copy of the local rag and the front page was adorned with this bloke. I would have aimed the story slightly differently. "Desperate landlord seeks free publicity" would have been my angle. Or maybe "Landlord admits 'we don't have a smoking area'".
He'd previously been on local news with a live link up from his pub in Greetland and he struck me as a bit of a pillock then. This piece does nothing to change my opinion. However, local newspapers being local newspapers, it's been dominating the news round these parts. Yesterday, there was a stand-off as the pub's owners and police attempted to evict him. Today, I drove past the pub while I was on my rounds and a chap was just finishing boarding the place up. And laughed.

My thoughts on the smoking ban are mixed. I don't smoke, so the biggest niggle I have is when out with smokers who all feck off outside at the same time, buggering up the rounds as I'm left inside supping ale. I don't doubt that some pubs have felt a drop-off in trade, but my regular watering hole hasn't. They get by on the general bonhomie of the place (it sure ain't the beer) and that, surely, is the key.

3 comments:

Gary said...

“We will be looking for a new landlord to run the College Arms and would ask that anyone interested call us on 01293 726367 or visit www.admiraltaverns.com.”

A new career for you ?

The BigFatPhony said...

Ah the College. Back again with an ex-regular at the helm. No photos of yer man JohnD in the examiner with half smoked tab ends in his ears I reckon. Just good beer, a no nonsense attitude to yer part time drinkers, the addition of arrers and Sky Sports on all day (apart from when Setanta have sommat decent on). Go on lad - sink yer life savings in - you know it'll work :)

John_D said...

Life savings? Ha. That'll be the day