Saturday, December 15, 2007

My idea

Having been out and about on the roads a lot lately, I have a proposal. Like Sweden, I believe that any car with it's engine running should have some lights on. On a day like today - freezing cold and foggy - it's amazing how many motorists think they don't need any lighting at all, making me think that people can't be trusted. Presumably, if they can see everyone around them, they must be OK.
But not just that. I think you'd have fewer accidents at slow speeds with people pulling out and suchlike. I think you'd have fewer accidents involving pedestrians if they were better able to see which cars were moving and which weren't. This is especially so at dawn and dusk - whenever the sun is low in the sky, basically.
I certainly think it's worth looking into. I'd write to my MP, Barry Sheerman, about it if I didn't think he still needed permission from Tony Blair to wipe his own arse.

2 comments:

Gary said...

Its a good idea, but...

When I had Volvo's my light bulb bill was higher than the diesel bill and its a myth that you can't turn the sidelights off in a Volvo - there is a secret switch near the lightswitch that allows your car to work like all other cars do...

John_D said...

Hmm. A fair point. I would hope that light bulb technology has come on a bit since your Volvo days, sparing the need for too much replacement.