Friday, November 23, 2007

Sat nav II

I now have a sat nav unit. I got it from work to help me find my way round unfamiliar housing estates in unfamiliar towns. Except it doesn't. Twice yesterday the postcode didn't match the street, but you try talking to the woman inside the machine. She won't listen. And as there's a slight delay on satellite tracking, it often thinks you're still on one road when you're not or vice versa.
I had a bit of a falling out with it yesterday after it told me to turn right after I'd gone past the right turn it wanted me to take. We made up in the end though.
My other half has threatened to make it talk in a Hull accent for me as some sort of sick and twisted Christmas present ("Tairn raaart"). If I'm ever to stop pissing it off by ignoring the instructions, the only voice that will work is the HAL computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey. "Why didn't you turn right Dave?". "I'm sorry Dave. I can't let you take the ring road instead of going through the industrial estate".

Either way, I shan't be throwing away my maps any time soon.

2 comments:

Gary said...

Our IT chap at head office in Birmingham, who co-incidently is called dave, has the HAL voice speak to him every time he tries to reboot his pc - "I wouldn't do that if I were you Dave"

John_D said...

The sat nav tried to send me down the pedestrianised areas of Hebden Bridge today, the useless git.
But it redeemed itself by finding a remote farm later on