Thursday, November 15, 2007

Keen and eaga

So, this new job then... I now work for eaga. Back in the day it stood for something (energy something grant agency or similar) but now it's just a word. More specifically, I'm working on the Warm Front side of things. The Warm Front grant, administered by DEFRA, gives people on qualifying benefits a grant of up to £2700 to heat and/or insulate their homes, removing people from fuel poverty and saving money on energy bills. A properly insulated home requires less energy to adequately heat it as well, so it helps reduce the environmental impact of the home. When people apply for the grant, they need an assessment done on their home in order to determine what we can offer them under the terms of the grant depending on the current state of the house and that's where I and about 350 other people come in. It's our job to visit these people and conduct a survey on the home to assess it's current rating and see what we can do to improve it.
So it's all warm and fluffy and very socially responsible. The last two weeks have been spent training up near Sunderland which has largely been fun. There were about 30 of us and it was a real good group of people, all of whom I got on with. Monday and Tuesday I'll be out with an assessor and learning more about how to do the job that way before being let loose on my own. Today will require me to get organised, by which I mean prepare an environment at home in which I can work comfortably. That could be the hardest task of all. It's amazing how much stuff has stuck. When I pulled up at home after the first week, I could tell that there is a cavity in our walls and that it's been filled, but my neighbours on either side have not. And I know they qualify for a grant. As do my parents. And that's the way I'm looking at it - I don't want my neighbours and parents to spend money unnecessarily or to be cold, and neither do I want other people's nearest and dearest to struggle the same way.

Warm Front has attracted a bit of bad publicity lately. The qualification rules are a bit odd and some questions were raised on that on the training, but we can only work to the rules DEFRA give us. These things are constantly reviewed and I'm sure this will be no different. Either way, I'm keen to get started properly and I hope that my first impressions that this will be a rewarding job that I can really enjoy are born out. So far so good anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eaga cares your joking. Eaga cares are simply 2 words banded together. They talk the talk but fail to walk the walk.