Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Number 23

The Number 23 is a heavily advertised Jim Carrey vehicle which I will not be going to see. Not because I don't like Jim Carrey - I think he's reasonably good when he's not doing the rubber faced monkey-man act. I shall not be watching it because in the trailer which is only on at every ad break on TV, one of the characters explains that 23 is significant because two divided by three equals 0.666 and that 666 is the number of the beast. Well it isn't. On either score. If you're going to three decimal places, two divided by three is 0.667 and there can be no room for such basic mathematical slip-ups in modern cinema. And 666 is not the number of the beast, or indeed anything else. Nowhere in any classical literature is any sort of beast described by the number 666, let alone 667 or even 0.667.
So, I put it to you that this film is bollocks.

No comments: