Thursday, December 07, 2006

The official start of christmas

Sat in the pub this lunchtime, I heard Paul McCartney's godawful Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time. This signals the official start to the festive season. I managed to last until December 18 last year before the soon-to-be-less-well-off ex-Wings frontman's dirge hit my ears, but that was exceptional. Today is more or less average for the first hearing.
As well as the former Frog Chorus warbler's ditty, a number of other christmas hits were played in the pub. And they're pretty much all shite. The Pogues are an exception. It got me thinking though. All these artists have a 50-year pension plan with their festive tunes as it appears on a new album every fricking year. So I'm going to write one - one with a strong theme of social realism. Watch this space.

8 comments:

Chris said...

Social realism eh?

How about:

'Jesus died horribly and painfully on the cross, and his family went bankrupt paying for his funeral' or:

'Mary & Joseph should have tried their local travelodge before shacking up in that barn. They have very reasonably priced rooms and some suites even have a minibar'

John_D said...

That barn is now a Starbucks.










Probably.

Gary said...

McCartney has failed to write a song that I like since 1970, for that I give him a grudging admiration.

Last night on Napster I stopped the 14 year olds selection of whatever rubbish she's listening to this week and chose a christmas compilation of christmas hits, most of it was pure shite on a rope, but one stood out...

"All I want for christmas is me two front teeth" by Spike Jones and his City Slickers.

Spike Jones now has a new 14 year old admirer.

John_D said...

I am massively apologetic to Spike Jones. I had completely forgotten about that one.
My song (up to two verses now, pop-pickers) will kick it's ass though. Maybe I could get The Arabs to perform it?

Gary said...

I'll speak to the Sheik sometime before christmas, I'm sure he's still got the stage costumes and the publicity material, they may even bring back top of the pops for this one, perhaps combine it with Jamie Oliver to dispose of the carcass ?

John_D said...

3 verses and a chorus now!! This is easy this song-writing lark.

John_D said...

Another verse down over a couple of Friday lunchtime beers.....

John_D said...

Lyrics. Finished.