Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The return of non-mainstream cinema

Some months ago, I lamented the Odeon taking over my nearest cinema. Today, I feel the need to give credit where it's due.
Yesterday, idly browsing the schedules, I noticed the 'Director's Chair' feature - i.e. putting something a bit more left-field on once in a while - was back. And so it came to pass that I was sat in there last night watching Luc Besson's Angel-a. Beautifully filmed, in black and white, it's the story of a down-on-his-luck American in Paris who, when contemplating suicide, encounters a leggy blonde who sets about changing his life. There's a few holes in the plot, but it's charm gets it through.
It could have been rubbish - that's not really the point. After all my chelping about the lack of variety, I felt it was almost my duty to go and see it, no matter what.

No comments: