Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Running the car on veg oil

As eny fule kno, the diesel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil rather than a fossil fuel derivative. I see no reason why I can't use veg oil (among other things) as fuel in the diesel we own. As I live within short range of at least half a dozen take-aways, I'm sure a steady supply of used oil can be obtained if not free then very cheaply.
I shall let you all know how I get on.

UPDATE 5/10/06 - £1300 to get the car converted. And it's not suitable for used food oil. I think this is going on the backburner for now. One day though....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hoy hoyo, My understanding was that used veg oil is better than the unused (something about cracking the hydrocarbons). The only issue is filtering out the old bits of chips.
The real issue with running your diesel on veg oil (relating to a friends' attempt) is that:
* To start the car you need to keep a supply of meths to thin out the oil - it's too fat uneated to go through the engine.
* You are followed by a cloud of black smoke and your car satinks of chip fat.
* Your car will explode "in an unrelated gearbox incident in no way resulting from running your car on veg oil".